Hurricane Dorian and Port Canaveral Cruise Itinerary Changes
Posted on August 29, 2019
Photo by People Magazine
Hurricane Dorian is currently making its way through the Caribbean and is headed to the Florida coast. This is predicted to be a major hurricane — with maximum sustained wind speeds of 130 to 156 miles per hour. By Sunday afternoon, Dorian is expected to make landfall near Port Canaveral at Category 4 strength. Cruise lines have already started modifying itineraries in order to keep their ships out of Hurricane Dorian’s projected path.
Port Canaveral will be closed on Saturday, August 31, after all cruise ships depart. They are planning to re-open on Wednesday, September 9, if the weather permits.
Here’s an overview of the changes for voyages underway this week.
Royal Caribbean Cruise Line
September 02, 2019 – 8:00 p.m.
Royal Caribbean has confirmed that they have closed CocoCay from Wednesday, August 28 to Wednesday, September 4. This gives the local staff members at CocoCay time to evacuate, secure their homes, and care for their families. As a result of this closure, cruisers who pre-purchased excursions at Coco Cay will receive a credit to their onboard expense account. If this full credit is not used onboard, the remaining balance will be refunded to the credit card on file. The ships that will be affected by this closure are:
- – The Mariner sailing on 08/30, sailing has been extended and will return on 09/05. Itineraries now include Cozumel on 9/01 and Costa Maya on 09/02. There will be two more sea days on 09/03 and 09/04 before returning to Port Canaveral.
- – The Mariner sailing on 09/02, has been cancelled.
- – The Harmony sailing on 08/25, sailing has been extended, will return on 09/05. An additional visit to Cozumel has been added on 08/31 and will stay there until 09/01. After 3 sea days, will return on 09/05.
- – The Harmony sailing on 09/01, has been shortened and will depart on 09/05 instead. Revised itinerary is Labadee, Haiti on 09/06. Return date The return will be as scheduled on 09/08.
Disney Cruise Line
September 01, 2019 – 8:15 p.m.
Disney’s Cruise Line has made some announcement regarding some sailings on the Disney Dream. There are no anticipated changes to the Disney Fantasy sailing on 08/31.
- – The Dream sailing on 08/30 has been revised to a 5-night sailing and will now return on Thursday, September 5.
- – The Dream sailing on 09/02 has been cancelled.
- – The Fantasy sailing on 08/31 has no anticipated changes.
Carnival Cruise Line
September 04, 2019 – 2:00 p.m.
Carnival has released updated information about the itineraries of their ships. The updates are as follows:
- – The Liberty sailing on 08/30 is expected to return 09/05. Itineraries include Nassau, Cozumel and Costa Maya.
- – The Breeze sailing on 08/31, no change to itinerary.
- – The Elation sailing on 09/02 is now cancelled.
- – The Liberty sailing on 09/02 is cancelled.
You can sign up for Carnival’s text alerts by texting CCL1 to CRUISE (278473).
Norwegian Cruise Line
September 02, 2019 – 9:00 p.m.
The Norwegian Sun sailing on 08/29 departed from Port Canaveral on Thursday, as scheduled. To ensure the safety of their guests and crew, Norwegian Cruise Line has decided to cancel calls to Nassau, Great Stirrup Cay and Freeport, Bahamas have been cancelled. Instead, the ship spent a day at sea on Friday, 08/30, and overnight in Cozumel, Mexico on 08/31, and will leave 09/01 at 6 p.m. Norwegian Sun’s scheduled return to Port Canaveral on September 2 has been cancelled. Due to the uncertainty of when the port will reopen, the cruise will conclude in New Orleans, Louisiana on September 3.
09/02 Norwegian Sun Sailing has been cancelled
09/07 Norwegian Sun Sailing is still scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 7, pending the reopening of the port. She is scheduled to sail a five-day Bahamas cruise calling to Freeport, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas. NCL is still evaluating the impact of the storm to her planned calls and will communicate any itinerary modifications accordingly.
For the latest information on itinerary changes and weather impacts on Port Canaveral, visit our Live Updates page: https://www.goport.com/live-updates/hurricane-dorian/2/
Get the Inside Scoop from Go Port
Stay up-to-date with the latest Port Canaveral cruise news and travel tips!